Each holiday season, Leland MOPS/MOMSnext participates in a service project for the local Single Moms Ministry. The Single Mom’s Ministry is a relational ministry that seeks to help single moms acquire a healthy sense of self-awareness, create a wide base of community support, become invested in parenting, strive for economic wellness, and recognize themselves as a contributing member of society.
Every holiday season, Single MOMM puts on a Holiday Party Event for all of the single moms during a time when they are most often forgotten, left out or most vulnerable. During this event the Mom gets to have a HOT meal served to her (a real treat for any mom, am I right?!) and is pampered while her little one(s) get to “go shopping” for gifts for their mom for Christmas. These gifts that the children “shop” for are donated or made by volunteers. We have made gifts for this event for the last few years. It is really a great time for all involved.
This year, we decided to make Body Scrub for the event. During one of our meetings in November we banded together and made 48 jars of Sugar Cookie Body Scrub. The room smelled heavenly and we had many laughs to go around as well! Here are some photos of that meeting…if you look closely, MomConnie even participated! (The recipe for the scrub is at the bottom of this post!)
The Single Mom’s Ministry is still looking for volunteers for their event in December (below are the volunteers that they are in need of).
They would like help setting up the Santa’s Workshop on Friday, December 12th. If you can’t make it to either one of the events and would still like to help out, you can bring cookies or applesauce to our meeting on Tuesday and Natalie will bring them with her on Friday.
If you can’t make event or will be out-of-town they are still collecting $20-25 gift cards from Kohl’s or Toys R Us (or monetary donations to go toward this).
The event is a 3 hour event from 5-8pm (volunteers need to arrive at 4:30pm to pray) on December 13th at the Church of the Living God (1514 Birmley Road). Please look at your schedule and talk with friends, fellow small group members and others that might be able to help. Having enough hands and hearts to safely love on these beautiful children is a biggest need. Also, those that would welcome our new moms (from 4:30-6:30pm) and help in the kitchen. Please see below and let them know ASAP if you can help. They can only pull this off with an army of servants!!
Greatest need: 2 -3 more people in the 3-5 year old class
More Volunteers Needed:
- 1 more person in the nursery
- 1 more person in the toddler room
- 1-2 more people in the 6-8 class
- 1-2 more people in the 9-11 class
- 1 more person in the 12 and up boys
- 2 more people to serve the kids food (4:30-6:30)
- 2 more people for new mom greater (4:30-6:30)
- 4-5 women helping in the kitchen
- 3 folks helping with take down of tables and chairs (8:00-9:00)
All of these jobs are very important. Please step up if you are at all able. They get many non-believing moms and kids at this event… it is an awesome time to truly show them the real meaning and reason for this season. Serve as a family, as a couple, neighbors, or small group.
If you would like to help out, please contact Heather Muha at Heather@singlemomm.org
Here’s the recipe for the Sugar Cookie Body Scrub that we made for this event. Find it on Pinterest HERE!
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 half pint mason jar (8 OZ Jar)
- Label (with a sticker back)
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine your brown sugar and white sugar. Whisk them together until they are completely combined.
- Add in your olive oil and vanilla extract and mash together with a fork until all of the oil is combined into the sugar mixture.
- Pack the mixture down into your mason jar.
- To finish, tie a bow around the mouth of the jar (optional). Create your own label and stick it on the front of the jar or on the lid. Now, it is ready for gifting or for immediate use!